When to take Saffron during Pregnancy?
Saffron is widely used as a spice, while there are some people who use it as a medicinal herb. It is a common knowledge that saffron taken by pregnant mothers give birth to fairer, glowing and healthy babies. There is no such evidence proving this fact, however read on to know more about the effects of using saffron during pregnancy.
Saffron – The Exotic Spice
- Saffron is also called zafran and kesar. Taking saffron during pregnancy is a common practice among expecting mothers. Often regarded as ‘the Golden Spice’, it adds an infusion of unique aroma and flavor to food.
- From exotic dishes like lassi, kheer, biryani and other traditional desserts, saffron has been an important part of the Indian cuisine. This herb is used extensively in cosmetic products like fairness creams, lotions and face packs. It is known to lead to a glowing complexion.
- Saffron is a popular spice in the South-East Asian countries, where it is also used for medicinal purposes in the form of a herbal supplement. Many women wonder want to consume saffron during pregnancy as it provides several benefits.
- Even though normal intake via dietary supplement is safe, large doses can prove to be dangerous when one is expecting. Miscarriages and contractions have been reported when taking high doses.
- In some cultures, this herb helps to improve the complexion of the baby when taken during pregnancy. This notion is not proven yet, although is not harmful when the herb is taken in small amounts.
- If you enjoy consuming saffron or a firm believer in home remedies, there are various methods to consume the spice safely for you as well as your baby.
Saffron and Pregnancy – The Benefits
In the time of pregnancy, you elders might advise you to drink a glass of milk mixed with saffron daily to ensure a healthy and fair baby. However, this popular notion is just a myth as there is no scientific evidence to prove this notion.
You must know that your baby’s complexion completely depends on genetics and there is no food item available, that will determine the complexion during pregnancy. Having said this, there is no harm in consuming saffron while you are expecting a baby.
You can begin taking saffron any time during your pregnancy. Milk is a good source of calcium and proteins, and by adding this herb into a glass of milk acts like a therapeutic agent. This herb is also an anti-spasmodic, therefore, when taken during pregnancy, it can aid in relieving stomach pain and renal colic. This herb is an effective aid in digestion, apart from increasing the pregnant woman’s appetite. This herb also controls mood swings and blood pressure during pregnancy.
Medicinal Use of Saffron
This herb is not considered safe for any medicinal use during pregnancy as high doses of this herb are known to cause contractions and even lead to miscarriages. In reality, this herb helps to stimulate proper digestion during this time and in expecting women, the process of digestion is very slow, hence, they may need some agents to stimulate and enhance their ability to digest.
Ayurveda claims that saffron aids in the baby’s movement in the womb. Since the mother can feel the baby’s movement at five months, it is advisable to take saffron from the fifth month onwards. It is more important to consider when to consume saffron rather than how to take it. Apart from this, saffron increases the body temperature hence, it is recommended a little later during pregnancy. Saffron is used in sweets or any other food item.
Side-effects of Saffron
This herb increases the body temperature hence, health experts suggest that one must add only 1 or 2 strands of saffron in milk while expecting a baby. Remember, that moderation is the key when it comes to usage.
Using Saffron in Pregnancy
Here are a few important points you must keep in mind before consuming saffron.
- You can take this herb by mixing it in milk. Start from the 1st trimester of your pregnancy.
- If you can’t have milk, then you can add a few strands of this herb to soups, side dishes or rice.
- Put five strands of saffron to a glass of water and drink it. This will aid in your digestion process.
- It is important to consult your doctor before you start taking saffron during pregnancy. Take the recommended dose and reap the benefits of this wonderful and natural medicinal herb.
Steps to Consume Saffron during Pregnancy
- Consult your doctor – If you consume 10 grams of this spice, then it can cause uterus stimulation. This results in contractions. Hence, it is important to consult your obstetrician before easting saffron to ensure that it is completely safe for you as well as your baby.
- Do your own research – You should always do your bit of research like checking online mom’s organizations and forums. These clubs and sites feature women who talk about their pregnancies. You must check whether any other new-mom-to-be has experienced consuming this herb during pregnancy.
- You can add 3-5 strands of saffron into a glass of milk and drink it in order to improve the digestion process. You can drink a glass of milk along with saffron every day after the completion of the first pregnancy trimester.
- You can also add a few strands of this herb into soups, rice and various other dishes which need flavor. But, always keep in mind to add a few strands only.