Smelly Clothes? – Try Vinegar and Baking Soda
The main reason for having smelly clothes is sweat. Each time you exercise and exert yourself, your body excretes salts and sweat. And, when your clothes absorb these salts and sweat, they become smelly. Even after you wash your clothes, you might get a very unpleasant and odd smell that is lodged firmly in the fabric. However, with a few simple steps you can easily get rid of smelly clothes odor.
Things You Will Require
- 1 cup baking soda
- 2 cups vinegar
Steps for Washing Smelly Clothes
Follow these simple steps to get rid of the smell and odor from your smelly clothes:
- Fill up half of your sink with warm water. To this, add about 1 cup of baking soda. Gently swish the warm water so that the soda dissolves. Now, put your smelly clothes in this water and make sure the entire fabric is wet completely. Leave the clothes in the water for about an hour.
- Drain the baking soda water from the sink and squeeze out the excess water from your clothes. Check if the smell has improved a little for the better.
- If your clothes still have an odor, fill up your sink again with hot water. Add 2 cups of vinegar and then gently stir the hot water. Soak your clothes again for about two hours. If there is any baking soda left on your clothes, you might see a little fizzing.
- Drain the sink again and squeeze out the excess water from your clothes. Now, check if the smell is gone.
- Once the smell is washed away or is completely gone, wash your clothes in the washing machine using the hot settings of the machine. Make use of your regular detergent. Do not put all your clothes in at the same time. Detergent works amazingly well when there is a lot of water flowing all through your clothes.
- If possible, dry your clothes in the sun shade. Sunshine is believed to be a very natural odor killer. If this is not possible, dry your clothes in the machine dryer.
With these simple steps it is very easy to get rid of smelly clothes odor.